More thoughts on the Word of God, the Bible.
Verses to consider when the Bible is being attacked as nothing more than the error ridden musings of old men who didn’t know what they were talking about.
And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: (Eph 6:17)
– How can you take the sword of the Spirit (the word of God) if it is not written?
For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. (Heb 4:12)
– Where is this word that is quick and powerful? Is it written?
Jesus prayed in John 17:17 “Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth.”
– Why does Jesus refer to Your truth and Your word? Isn’t He the Word and the Truth? Could He be referring to the scriptures?
“…have you not read what was spoken to you by God?” (Mt. 22:31)
– Jesus equated scripture with the voice of God. The Bible is God’s living Word.
Now to Him who is able to establish you according to my gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery kept secret since the world began 26 but now has been made manifest, and by the prophetic Scriptures has been made known to all nations, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, for obedience to the faith (Rom. 16:25-26)
– God commanded that the gospel mystery be revealed by the scriptures in order to bring men to faith.
Paul used those same scriptures to persuade unbelievers about Jesus and the Kingdom. “So when they had appointed him a day, many came to him at his lodging, to whom he explained and solemnly testified of the kingdom of God, persuading them concerning Jesus from both the Law of Moses and the Prophets, from morning till evening.” (Acts 28:23)
“thus invalidating the word of God by your tradition which you have handed down; and you do many things such as that.” (Mark 7:13)
– Some are guilty of invalidating God’s Word. Where is this Word? Scripture?
“If he called them gods, to whom the word of God came (and the Scripture cannot be broken).” (John 10:35)
– The Word of God is called Scripture and it cannot be broken.
“that…. you might learn not to exceed what is written, in order that no one of you might become arrogant in behalf of one against the other.” (1 Cor. 4:6)
– Paul exhorts that we not go beyond that which is written. He is referring to Old Testament scriptures. Today it seems that there is almost a contest to see who can go the furthest from that which is written.